Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hot Spot - Fairfax, VA

What's NEXT: Since the last time I visited Hot Spot, I've noticed a few positives changes to the restaurant which have made me bring my review to 5 stars.

The Changes are:
- Vegetable Platter to Start the Meal: Rather than picking both your starches and vegetables from the beginning, they provide you with a "variety platter". This accomplishes 2 things: Less wait time for food prep and allows people to try vegetables they've never had before. I believe they had most of the typical vegetables including enoki and shitaki mushrooms. This change benefits both the customers and the restaurant.

- Extra Spicy Broth: This was something that I thought was a major letdown when I first came. A number of my friends including me prefer a super spicy (mala) experience. There's just something about the szechuan peppercorns that can't be forgotten in a spicy broth. Having said that, they added it to the menu and it was actually quite satisfying. I'm extremely happy with this change.

- More Order Sheets: Since you order on a piece of paper listing what you want, it was challenging to continuously flag down the wait staff if you wanted another order form. This time, I was given 3 sheets when I initially sat down which allowed me to place a 2nd round of food once my 1st one game. During my last visit, we had 3 rounds of food and waited around 25 min each time.  This change makes it very easy for everyone and allows the turn of tables quicker.

Now I know a lot of people have complained by the slow service and long wait time. When my friend and I came on Friday night, the wait for 2 people at a table was an hour. The place was completely packed by 7pm. In addition, with limited staff, I bet people's drinks and food were refilled at a snail's pace. 

HOWEVER, I do have a secret to share. If you sit at the bar, you'll get the BEST SERVICE EVER. 

We sat at the end of the bar and there were so many benefits. Quick and easy drink orders, refills and it was very easy to catch one of the staff since they would walk right past us to-and-from the kitchen. Everything was great and I couldn't be happier with the service.

All in all, one of my new favorite restaurants in the DMV and I'm happy they opened up right before winter!

5/5 Stars





Meat and Seafood



Ready to Eat


No comments:

Post a Comment